Sunday, July 25, 2010

Power Point

The term PowerPoint has taken on a whole new meaning to me after completing the tutorial activity. Who knew PowerPoint’s could do more then just display static information? The potential for interactivity and group collaboration from using PowerPoint as a learning journey (instead of a means to present information) is endless.

This digital tool tutorial first saw me create a concept map using Microsoft word. This was a way to help identify key learning topics that had to be covered in the learning activity. By using an outline view I was then able to send my information to Microsoft PowerPoint. This was challenging as the tutorial showed how to complete this section in Word 2007 only. After consulting a blog on the coffee lounge, I quickly found out how to complete this section of the tutorial. Once my information had been sent to PowerPoint my slides were already set up for me and ready to go.

In this section I learnt how to create non-linear presentations. I learnt how to create hyperlinks to different sections of my PowerPoint and create action buttons like home, next question, and back. From here I was able to develop a multiple choice quiz.

This digital technology would be to time consuming for students to create their own. Although it has enormous potential for students to develop deeper, higher order thinking skills, the time allocated to scaffolding such a task would interrupt the learning time. However as a teaching tool this digital technology is fabulous.

I recently implemented a science unit. Each sub-section of my unit was accompanied by a PowerPoint of facts, figures, and useful information. Instead of teaching students from the PowerPoint, it would have been much more beneficial to the students to teach them first, and then allow them in either small groups, or as a whole class, to go through the information in a non-linear way finishing with a short multiple answer quiz on the topic. Furthermore, by adding the quiz to the end of the presentation a clear indication of the student’s knowledge and understanding on the topic would be evident.

This type of technology would be more beneficial if it were implemented as a student centred activity. As the PowerPoint is a scaffolded learning journey the students can work through at their pace, moving backwards and forwards until they are happy with their level of understanding and knowledge. To conclude I have created a lesson plan, as an example of how PowerPoints can be embedded into the learning context. To view my lesson plan click on the following link; http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leah
    I agree this is a great tool but very time consuming and complex. I would only use it as a tool to inform my teaching or in rotational groups with this being one of the stations. The powerpoint is a great tool for engaging students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    I definatley agree with you that as a teaching tool this digital technology is fabulous. I too had limited knowledge as to other uses for powerpoint in the classroom other than for presentation purposes.

    Although this tool being created by students would be time consuming and yes it would be hard to find the time for students to be taught how to create an interactive powerpoint, I believe that using such a digital learning tool as a form of assessment would engage students in deep learning and understanding of a particular topic as well as allow them to develop higher order thinking skills. How I would use such a tool in my own classroom would be to have students create an interactive powerpoint for their peers on a particular topic (example animals or climate change). They would submitt this powerpoint to be marked for assessment purposes showing their level of knowledge on a learnt topic as well as their ICT skills and processes they have obtained. This would engage students in the task creating an authentic and meaningful assessment task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda and Tori, thanks for the comments. I have decided to revise my previous standing on implementing PowerPoint’s into the learning context. Tori, you offered some valuable ideas on how to allow students to use PowerPoint’s as a form of presenting and delivering their newly acquired knowledge and understanding. I really liked the idea of having students present their work in a fun, engaging way, instead of the traditional cardboard poster routine. Therefore, I have decided to use PowerPoint’s as one of my four technologies to be discussed in my synopsis. I have created a lesson plan for implementing PowerPoint’s into the classroom context. The lesson plan can be viewed at the following address; http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php

    By using PowerPoint as a means of delivery, students can be involved in rich, authentic tasks. Opportunities for collaborative work and peer assessment also develop. All of these outcomes that occur as a means of using PowerPoints to deliver knowledge and understanding aid in achieving better educational outcomes for all students.

    ReplyDelete